Course Policies & Rules
Etiquette, Rules and Policies
Golf is a popular pastime and competitive sport that is enjoyed by many. The enjoyment of the game, however, is often dependent upon golfers following basic rules and etiquette. The following guidelines have been established by Cleveland Metroparks to help ensure a positive golf experience.
Etiquette, Speed of Play
- Play "ready golf." Be prepared for each shot and keep up with the group directly ahead. Cleveland Metroparks par time is 2 1/4 hours for 9 holes and 4 1/2 hours for 18 holes. Approximately 15 minutes per hole.
- Replace divots, repair ball marks and rake sand traps.
- 18-hole players should break for only five minutes upon completion of the front nine. A longer break could result in the loss of access to the #10 tee.
Rules and Policies
- Each golfer must have a receipt from the cashier.
- Each golfer must have a bag and clubs.
- Fivesomes or more are not permitted on the golf course at any time.
- Holes must be played in sequence.
- Players should not hit until the players in front are out of range.
- The tee-master will group golfers into foursomes whenever possible.
- More than one playing golf ball per golfer is not permitted on the golf course.
- The golfer is responsible for any damage or bodily harm caused by the ball or club.
- Cleveland Metroparks is not responsible for injuries on the golf course. Play is at your own risk.
- Tee reservations may be made beginning at noon, 12 days in advance.
- Tee reservations may be made by phone or online only for the first hour of availability.
- Only two foursome tee reservations may be assigned for each call during the first hour.
- Every fourth tee reservation will be kept available for walk-on golfers, with the exception of league, outing or tournament periods. Walk-on tee times are eliminated at Sleepy Hollow and Manakiki golf courses.
- Tee reservations will be assigned for the #1 tee only, except during times when the "Wave" start is used.
- Tee reservations will begin approximately 15 minutes past sunrise and extend to approximately 6:30 p.m.
- On weekends and holidays before noon, only 18-hole reservations will be accepted.
- Golfers with starting times must be paid and ready, and report to the tee-master at least 10 minutes prior to the tee reservation.
- Every fourth time will be kept available for walk-on golfers with the exception of league, outing or tournament periods. Walk-on tee times are eliminated at Sleepy Hollow and Manakiki golf courses.
- Walk-on times will be assigned from the names on the waiting list.
- Each person may obtain a maximum of one walk-on time.
- For any periods when starting times are not in effect, players will tee off on a first-come, first-served, in-person basis.
- When a wait exists, one person may hold a spot for a maximum of one foursome.
- Cleveland Metroparks offers junior and senior rates on weekdays (except holidays). The rates do not apply to outings and tournaments. After November 1, the senior, junior and fall rates are in effect every day.
- The senior rate is for players 60 years or older. Proper I.D. must be shown upon request.
- The junior rate is for players 17 years or younger. Proper I.D. must be shown upon request.
- Generally children must be six years or older in order to be on the golf course as a player, caddie or spectator. At Mastick Woods and Shawnee Hills Par 3, children ages 3 and over, accompanied by a parent or guardian may tee off, be a caddie or spectator between 11 a.m. and 3 p.m. Monday through Thursday, and weekends and holidays after 3 p.m.
- To rent a power cart, players must be at least 18 years old and possess a valid driver's license. Proper I.D. is required upon request.
Power and Hand Carts
- Power cart drivers must be at least 18 years old and have a valid driver's license.
- Proper I.D. is required upon request.
- Power cart drivers are liable for any damage or bodily harm caused by the cart.
- Two riders maximum are permitted in a power cart.
- Three bags maximum are permitted in a power cart.
- Power carts must be kept at least 30 feet from the greens at all times.
- Power carts must drive on paths and in roughs. Carts may cross fairways at 90-degree angles.
- Manakiki, Sleepy Hollow, Big Met, Shawnee Hills and Washington golf courses have continuous cart paths. Under wet or soft conditions, power carts may be required to remain on the path.
- Hand carts must be kept off greens, collars and tees.
- Shirts must be worn at all times. Sleeves and collars are recommended on men's shirts; ladies may wear a sleeveless, collared golf shirt. Tank tops, tube tops, halter tops, mesh shirts or similar attire are not permitted.
- Slacks, skirts or mid-length shorts (minimum length 16 inches) must be worn at all times. (swimming attire, short-shorts, cutoffs, jogging suits, sweat pants and similar attire are not permitted.)
- Proper footwear must be worn at all times. (Metal spikes, high heels, sharp heels, lug shoes, knobby rubber spikes or shoes deemed harmful to the golf course are not permitted.)
- Alcohol must be purchased from the concession facility. Carry-on alcoholic beverages are not permitted.
- Coolers are not permitted on the golf courses (except for medical reasons).
- During severe weather, lightning or thunder, greens fees are not sold and players are not permitted to start.
- If inclement weather causes players to cancel the round, players are eligible for a refund if they have not started. Once players have started, they are eligible for a rain check only.
- Out-of-town players may apply for a refund check.