Assistant Legal Counsel
Location: Administrative Offices
Job Type: Full Time
The Assistant Legal Counsel provides support to the Chief Legal & Ethics Officer in providing counsel in general legal matters, including but not limited to procurement of goods and services, contracts, professional services agreements, public records and records retention program, ethics and other legal areas.
- Coordinates the review and preparation of legal documents and contracts including, but not limited to, procurement of goods and services, professional services agreements, environmental compliance and other legal areas, as required.
- Monitors and administers procurement and contract policies and procedures to ensure compliance with established legal authorities. Engages in negotiations and contract preparation, as required.
- Maintains and analyzes federal, state and local legislation affecting Cleveland Metroparks and recommends response strategies.
- Engages in extensive legal research and writing of legal memorandum on a wide spectrum of issues that arise, impacting Cleveland Metroparks.
- Provides court/administrative hearing representation and legal research for Cleveland Metroparks. May be required to maintain and manage a civil litigation caseload.
- Responds to internal and external inquiries regarding public records, coordinates with other departments and determines whether there is an exception to open records requirements. Advises on legal issues related to Cleveland Metroparks records retention program.
- Provides training and development activities to Cleveland Metroparks staff, as required.
- Performs related duties as assigned or apparent.
- A Juris Doctorate degree from an accredited law school required. Minimum of two (2) years of transactional experience in real estate and contract law.
- Must be admitted to practice law in the State of Ohio and possess the ability to be admitted to practice in the U.S. District Court for the Northern District of Ohio and the U.S. Court of Appeals for the Sixth Circuit.
- Must have a good driving record (less than six (6) active points on driving record at the application stage of the hiring process) and possess a valid Ohio Driver’s License.
- Ability to develop and maintain effective working relationships with stakeholders, including employees and the general public.
- Ability to speak and write clearly, concisely and persuasively using correct grammar, spelling and punctuation with ability to communicate one-on-one or in group settings.
- Ability to perform work with a high degree of accuracy and organization.
- Strong business acumen, including problem solving, vision, ability to manage multiple programs and meet deadlines, collaboration, leadership, decision making and ability to analyze diverse facts and develop clear and concise reports and recommendations.
- Ability to work cooperatively with others.
- Proficiency in software programs including all Microsoft Office programs.
- Mature professional attitude and considerable discretion, including ability to manage confidential information.
- Ability to perform with considerable independence and initiative.
- Must be a non-smoker/tobacco user.
DATE POSTED: 4/6/2015
FILING DEADLINE: 4/20/2015
FULL SALARY RANGE: $59,957- $89,935/Annually. Typical Hiring Salary: $59,957 - $74,946/Annually
TO APPLY: Your cover letter must clearly explain how your skills and experience align with the above job qualifications
E-mail résumé referencing job #15095 to: