Location: Administrative Office
Job Type: Internships
The Law Clerk internship is a unique one-year, paid, part-time opportunity to work closely in an in-house position with the Chief Legal & Ethics Officer, the Chief Assistant Prosecuting Attorney, and the Director of Human Resources gaining valuable experience in multiple areas of civil and criminal law.
The Law Clerk will engage in research and writing legal memoranda on various topics, review documents, assist with the preparation of criminal hearings and trials, attend court hearings, provide general office and administrative duties, including updating files and records, and calendaring and tracking deadlines.
- Research and write memorandum or policies on a wide range of issues.
- Review and/or draft contracts and contract amendments.
- Assist with the preparation of criminal hearings and trials.
- Attend court hearings, pre-trials, and trials.
- Assist in processing Public Records Requests and Worker’s Compensation matters.
- Lend support in procurement process including, but not limited to, drafting of Request for Proposals, Requests for Qualifications, Requests for Information and bidding documents.
- Maintains and analyzes federal, state and local legislation affecting Cleveland Metroparks.
- Provides training and development activities to Cleveland Metroparks staff, as required.
- Provide general office and administrative duties, including updating files and records, and calendaring and tracking deadlines.
- Keeps direct supervisor promptly informed of key/significant issues or concerns.
- Carries out duties and responsibilities in a safe and efficient manner to maintain safe work environment and surrounding area for oneself, co-workers and public.Responds to hazardous situations and/or potentially unsafe conditions by taking corrective action as capable and promptly notifying supervisory personnel.
- Updates and enhances own knowledge by involvement in continuing education for professional growth, i.e., attends relevant conferences, seminars, in-service trainings and certification programs.
- Performs related duties as assigned or apparent.
- Must be a law student currently enrolled in an accredited law school within the United States.
- Must have a good driving record (less than six (6) active points on driving records at the application stage of the hiring process) and possess a valid Ohio driver’s license.
- Ability to speak and write clearly, concisely and persuasively using correct grammar, spelling and punctuation with ability to communicate one-on-one or in group settings.
- Ability to perform work with a high degree of accuracy and organization.
- Strong business acumen, including problem solving, vision, ability to manage multiple programs and meet deadlines, collaboration, leadership, decision making and ability to analyze diverse facts and develop clear and concise reports and recommendations.
- Ability to work cooperatively with others.
- Proficiency in Westlaw, traditional web search databases such as Google, and software programs including all Microsoft Office programs.
- Mature professional attitude and considerable discretion, including ability to manage confidential information.
- Ability to perform with considerable independence and initiative.
WAGE: $12.00 per hour
HOURS: Up 20 to 40 hours per week
TO APPLY: Submit a seasonal application and/or résumé to:
Department of Human Resources
4101 Fulton Parkway
Cleveland, OH 44144