Technician - Big Met Turf
Location: Big Met Golf Course
Job Type: Full Time
The Technician maintains and enhances District’s facilities, as assigned, by performing skilled and semi-skilled work in a manner, which results in a quality product and/or program consistent with District policies.
This position will primarily be responsible for the maintenance of various equipment and repair. Applicants will need to have high level diagnostic skills in both gas/diesel, industrial and small engines, proficiency in welding (both stick and mig) and fabrication and have a background in hydraulic motors, pumps and associated systems. Familiarity with technology related to cutting reels and rotary mowers, along with proper sharpening techniques, and familiarity with golf and construction equipment, including but not limed to, mowers, utility vehicles, backhoes, skid steer and bulldozers is necessary.
- Performs semi-skilled and, as capable and as assigned, skilled work in at least one of the following: Carpentry, plumbing, electrical, HVAC, irrigation/drainage, turf/agronomy, forestry, heavy equipment operation, mechanical, horticulture.
- Performs semi-skilled work, and as capable and as assigned, skilled work in a responsive manner by exercising a degree of independent judgment.
- Demonstrates initiative, creativity and leadership.
- Reports task accomplishments to supervisors and anticipate problems and recommends solutions.
- Demonstrates technical knowledge and proficiency in the handling and application of pesticides and fertilizers.
- Performs routine mechanical repairs and rebuilding work on equipment beyond first echelon of maintenance.
- Assists in the completion of construction renovation projects and extensive repair work of facilities.
- Operates and maintains at least two pieces of the following equipment:Trucks; tractors; farm and light construction equipment; front-end loader; backhoe; hydraulic mowing equipment; utility vehicles; bulldozer; grader; aerial bucket; tree spade; stump cutter; special skilled-trade tools.
- Performs related duties as apparent or assigned.
- High school diploma or equivalent, with at least two years of skilled-level golf course experience.Completion of an approved course in the specific trade or skilled area from an accredited technical school.
- Course work up to and including certification (i.e., Arborist, etc.), Associate Degree and/or university classes in turf, agronomy, forestry, horticulture, plant science, natural resources, or related fields, is preferred and would strengthen a candidate’s application.
- Current experience in and knowledge of golf course procedures duties, equipment operation, calibration and maintenance.
- Demonstrated ability to perform variable physical requirements of park and golf course maintenance work.
- Valid Ohio driver’s license.
- Possess or obtain an Ohio commercial driver’s license (CDL), when required by work assignment or location.
- Certification or licensure applicable to trade or specialized fields preferred.
- Possess or obtain an Ohio Pesticide Applicator’s License in turf grass, when required by work assignment or location.
- Demonstrated ability to exhibit leadership consistent with teamwork approach that recognizes contribution of all employees.
- Keeps current with new production methods, techniques and materials by work assignment locations.
- Possess the necessary written and oral communication skills to communicate professionally.
- Must be willing to work weekends and holidays.
- Must be willing to return to work to water or syringe golf course.
- Must be willing to work rotational night watering.
- Must be non-smoker/tobacco user.
- May be scheduled to work weekends and holidays, perform nighttime irrigation and/or required to return to work to irrigate or syringe golf course.
Starting Wage: $21.33 per hour with a.50 cent increase every six months until achieving the union base rate of $22.83 per hour
Date Posted: 7/1/2014
Extended Filing Deadline: Open Until Filled
To Apply: Your cover letter must clearly explain how your skills and experience align with the above job qualifications.
E-mail résumé referencing position #14084 to