Lead Service Maintenance
Location: Cleveland Metroparks Zoo
Job Type: Full Time
To perform a variety of skilled and semi-skilled labor duties in maintaining and improving Zoo buildings and grounds. This position exercises independent judgment within defined limits. This position exists to provide support for and cooperation with the Manager of Grounds and Services to efficiently direct the work of the Department.
- Directs and assists in duties related to grounds/turf maintenance and building janitorial maintenance. Oversees building maintenance and cleaning programs.
- Assist with developing seasonal work schedules.
- Directs and assists in duties related to recycling and composting.
- Properly maintains and operates janitorial and grounds maintenance equipment. Instructs and trains other employees in the operation of a wide range of tools and equipment used in composting/recycling, grounds/exhibit and janitorial maintenance.
- Provides construction labor for road and path paving, drainage tile and other construction projects as assigned.
- Assists Zoo Manager - Grounds and Services and Zoo Manager – Horticulture with creating guidelines and setting standards for janitorial and ground maintenance programs.
- Develops and maintains accurate records as required by EPA and USDA regulations as well as by Zoo and OSHA guidelines, including MSDS sheets.
- Provides work direction to full-time, part-time and seasonal employees.
- Performs all duties of Service Maintenance I and II classifications.
- Performs related duties as apparent or assigned.
- High school diploma; prefer two year degree in a related field or the equivalent in experience in park maintenance and/or resource management.
- Valid Ohio driver’s license.
- Ohio commercial drivers license (CDL) or ability to obtain one within six months.
- Forklift Operators License or ability to obtain one within six months.
- Demonstrated ability to coordinate and direct work tasks and work cooperatively with others.
- Demonstrated experience with use of related equipment and computers.
- Ability to lift up to 80 lbs and perform outdoor labor.
- Ohio Pesticide Applicator’s license or ability to obtain one within six months.
- Ohio Playground Inspectors License preferred.
- Basic computer skills.
- Must be non smoker/tobacco user.
EQUIPMENT USED (Not Limited To):
- Manual and automatic vehicles including dump trucks and utility vehicles.
- Trucks, tow-motor, backhoes, front-end loader, skid-steer loader, windrow turners, screeners, tub grinders, and chippers.
- Compactor Truck.
- Chain saws, light construction and other hand tools.
- Mowers and lawn and garden equipment.
- Computer - Microsoft data base and word processing programs.
SALARY: $20.99/hour with a .50 cent increase every six months until achieving the union base rate of $22.49/hour
WORK SHIFT: Thurs – Mon; 4:00 p.m. – 12:30 a.m.
CURRENT DAYS OFF: Tues/Weds
DATE POSTED: 9/3/2014
FILING DEADLINE: Open Until Filled
TO APPLY: Your cover letter must clearly explain how your skills and experience align with the above job qualifications.
E-mail résumé referencing job #14137 to: