Every Hole is a Classic Test of Golf
Located 17 miles east of downtown Cleveland, Manakiki Golf Course is an
elegant public course. The classic Donald Ross design
offers a variety of challenges including doglegs, water hazards, up-and-down
shots, back-to-back par 5s, short, long, tight, and open holes, and two canyon
Manakiki is rich in history. Its name is believed to be a Native American
word for maple forest and was suggested by the predominance of maples along
tree-lined fairways. The 200 acres were originally the summer estate of Howard
Hanna, a prominent Cleveland indusrialist. The property was then obtained by a
group from the Willowick Club and converted into Manakiki Country Club.
The Hanna Mansion was expanded into a beautiful clubhouse. In 1963, the east
wing of the original Hanna Mansion, which mirrored the existing west wing was
torn down due to a small fire and deterioration. The west wing was recently
renovated to preserve its structural integrity and history.
In 1944, the property owners, James and Fannie Brown, offered to donate the
course to the city of Cleveland. The city graciously declined to offer and it
was then sold to Cleveland Metroparks for one dollar, under the condition that
it must forever remain a golf course. A plaque in honor of the former owners
still stands near the18th green.
From 1944 through 1960, Manakiki was operated as a private country club. On
January 1, 1961 after the country club's lease was not renewed, Manakiki was
open for public play.
Manakiki offers many great holes; #8 was considered the most difficult par 4
hole on tour in the '50s when Manakiki hosted the Carling Open. Hole #15 has
also been selected as one of Cleveland's best par 3 holes. An electric trolley
once carried golfers from the 15th green up the steep slope to the #16 tee. The
mirror image canyon holes #10 and #18 are among the finest start
and finish to nine holes in the country.
In 1990, a master plan was developed to renovate the golf course and restore
much of its original character. The plan included installing water and
irrigation systems, building a pond on hole #3, and restoring a pond at hole
#15. Tees were rebuilt or restored on holes 6, 8, 9, 13, and 15. A continuous
cart path was also constructed to assure that golf carts may operate regardless
of weather conditions. In addition, sand bunkers that were taken out will
gradually be restored to their original state.
Features: pro shop,golf lessons, snack bar, power and hand cart
rental, golf club rental, practice putting green, short game practice area, party rooms, shower
service, continuous cart paths, watered greens, tees and fairways.
Room Rental/Food Service