Professional Development - Early Childhood Teacher Workshops: Nurture the Wonder
Program Type(s): Educators
Nurture the Wonder at Cleveland Metroparks Zoo is a series of workshops designed specifically to teach early childhood educators how to effectively and comfortably teach age-appropriate science lessons to young students. Different areas of the Zoo are explored at each workshop as participants learn how to capture children’s natural curiosity about the world around them.
Participants receive three (3) Ohio Department of Education approved contact hours for the completion of each workshop. Cost includes program attendance, admission to the Zoo, course binder with standards-aligned lesson plans, and take-home classroom materials. A bus voucher to bring students back to the zoo for a complimentary educational field experience can be applied for here (availability is limited).
Five different modules are offered: The Rainforest, African Elephant Crossing, Australian Adventure, Nature Discovery Ridge, and The Wonderful World of Water. Workshops are held on average twice per month, January through May and then from September through December. Those who work with under-served audiences are eligible to participate at no cost.
All Nuture the Wonder workshops will meet in the Reinberger Education Building which is located to the left of the main Zoo entrance unless otherwise noted.
Remaining 2015 dates:
- Saturday, November 7, 9am-noon: The Wonderful World of Water
- Wednesday, November 18, 4pm-7pm: African Elephant Crossing
- Saturday, December 12, 9am-noon: The Rainforest
- Saturday, January 16, 9am-noon: The Rainforest (Meet in The Rainforest Jungle Lab)
- Saturday, February 20, 9am-noon: The Rainforest (Meet in The Rainforest Jungle Lab)
- Saturday, March 12, 9am-noon: African Elephant Crossing
- Saturday, April 9, 9am-noon: Australian Adventure
- Tuesday, April 19, 4pm-7pm: Nature Discovery Ridge
- Saturday, May 14, 9am-noon: The Wonderful World of Water (Meet in The Rainforest Jungle Lab)
- Wednesday, May 25, 4pm-7pm: African Elephant Crossing
- Saturday, September 10, 9am-noon: Nature Discovery Ridge
- Wednesday, September 21, 4pm-7pm: Australian Adventure
- Saturday, October 8, 9am-noon: African Elephant Crossing
- Thursday, October 20, 4pm-7pm: Nature Discovery Ridge
- Saturday, November 12, 9am-noon: Australian Adventure
- Wednesday, November 16, 4pm-7pm: The Wonderful World of Water
- Saturday, December 10, 9am-noon: The Rainforest (Meet in The Rainforest Jungle Lab)
All participants are required to pay $25 to attend this teacher workshop no later than one week prior to the program's start date. Based on your school's eligibility, this $25 fee may be waived if at least 30% or more of the school's student body (where you teach) is on the federal free and reduced lunch program as verified through the Ohio Department of Education.
For Kids 12 & Younger