Please refer to the timeline above for deadlines and notification dates. Pre-Proposal Applications should be sent to the Conservation Assistant at Cleveland Metroparks Zoo. The principal investigator (PI) will be notified via email that the pre-proposal has been received and is being considered for funding. All pre-proposals will be reviewed and applicants notified via email. A limited number of applicants will be asked to submit a full proposal for review. Full proposals will be submitted to a scientific committee for final review and award determination. Final award notifications will be made via email. Projects involving research will be reviewed by scientists familiar with the research techniques and/or the species being studied. Non-research based proposals will be reviewed by persons familiar with the field, situation or topic of the request. All aspects of the project and proposal will undergo careful review by multiple reviewers, and all research, whether it is by students or professionals in the field, must adhere to the rigors and ethical principals established for valid and responsible scientific study.
Applicants previously funded through one of Cleveland Metroparks Zoo’s competitive grants programs may apply for additional funding for the same or a new project only after all of the requirements have been met for the previously funded grant. If applying for additional funds for the same project, the applicant is limited to two grants. After two grants have been awarded for a project, the PI is not eligible to apply for further funding for that project. There is no limit to the number of applications one can submit for different projects. The application process is the same for both new and second-time applicants.
All correspondence with regard to the proposal and review process will be directed to the PI using the contact information provided in the the Pre-Proposal/Proposal Application Form. Award and decline notifications are made via email for all proposals received for review, and are made based on the final decisions of the review committee. Upon notification of award, PI must contact the Conservation Assistant to provide written acceptance of awards and conditions, and complete fund transfer information before funds are disbursed.
All reports and follow up information should be directed to the Conservation Assistant at Cleveland Metroparks Zoo. Final reports should be sent within one year following the award. The following format should be used when submitting reports:
Progress Report or Final Report
Grant Program: (Scott Neotropical Fund, Africa Seed Grants, Asia Seed Grants)
Project Web Page: (if available)
Person completing report: (if different from above)
Summary: Provide a concise summary addressing the main findings, outcomes and successes of the project in 500 words or less.
Additionally, expand on the following questions in 2-3 pages:
- What were the major goals and objectives of the project? Were these accomplished?
- What impact will your findings and/or accomplishments have on the species/habitat/community? Also note any partnerships or collaborations that were created as a result of the project.
Did/will your findings and/or accomplishments influence existing conservation/research priorities or policy?
- What are the long-term implications of the project? What is the next step?
- Share a meaningful experience/story from the project that illustrates its impact /accomplishments-
(in your own words/conversational)
*Information provided in reports may be edited and posted on the Zoo's website.
Required supporting materials:
- Budget - Detail budget expenses and include a copy of original budget requested.
- Photographs - Include three photographs ( digital files 4x6in and 300dpi and attached separately from report preferred) that describe your project. Please number photographs and include appropriate captions for each. Each caption should include basic information about the activity, animal, habitat in the photo and the significance of the picture to the project. Please include the name of the photographer (for photo credit) as well as the names of any persons appearing in the frame.
*Please send photos cleared for publication.
Additional supporting materials:
Copies of published short reports, journal articles, and popular media articles, etc. are appreciated.