We are no longer accepting applications for 2013.
|Zoo Crew volunteer Andy shares a biofact with a young Zoo visitor.
|Zoo Crew volunteers Rose and Ali participate in a local water sampling project
|Zoo Crew volunteer Devon shares a biofact with a Zoo visitor
|Zoo Crew volunteers Lyndsey, Emma, Andy, Megan, Madeline & Andrew and their boats for the Great Boat Float
- Love to learn about animals?
- Like talking to people?
- Want to become active in wildlife conservation?
Zoo Crew Teens have....
- A lasting interest in animals and the environment
- The desire and ability to teach others
- Good working habits
- A GREAT time this summer!
What does Zoo Crew Do?
Zoo Crew teen volunteers (ages 13-17) assist in the Education Division by actively participating in various conservation projects and interpreting. What is interpreting, anyhow? It simply means talking to the public about the animals, their exhibits, and conservation!
The Zoo Crew teen volunteer program focuses on conservation and encourages teens to learn responsibility, develop job and career skills and grow in their personal conservation ethic.
- be at least 13 years old by January 1 and not older than 17 by June 1 of the year they will be volunteering.
- commit to attend once/week for the entire summer (June - August) with only two (2) excused absences. After completing one summer (with a minimum of 40 hours), you may be invited to join the year-round program (September - May). These teens meet one Saturday a month.
- have an exceptional interest in animals and the environment.
- have the desire and ability to work with people of all ages.
If selected, Zoo Crew volunteers must...
- attend an orientation session with parent or guardian.
- attend training sessions.
- work at least one six (6) hour shift per week.
- always wear his/her uniform while on duty - Zoo Crew shirt & your own khaki shorts or pants.
- All participants are required to have a current TB test (within the last year) and must complete a waiver and release of claims form. (TB test is step 1)
$30 fee covers uniform shirt, nametag, training materials and activities, and wrap-up party. NOTE: A limited number of scholarships are available for those demonstrating financial need.
How To Apply
We are no longer accepting applications for 2013
The Zoo Crew program consists of 94 teens each summer. Volunteers from last summer who met their commitments and served us well are invited to return. We subtract the number of returning teens from the number 94 to determine the number of available slots for new teen volunteers. Only complete applications (application and 2 reference forms) that are returned by the deadline will be reviewed and the names of all new qualified applicants will be put into a lottery and a random drawing will be held. The number of names pulled from the lottery equals the number of available slots plus 10 additional names. These applicants will participate in an interview
. The final teens will be selected based on application, reference forms, interview and skill level.
- The Zoo Crew Volunteer Program is a commitment not only for your teen, but also for parents and family. Please remember that Zoo Crew teens are allowed only two (2) scheduled absences during the summer program and two additional absences during the year-round program.
- Parents/Guardians must attend the mandatory Orientation Session. It will give you insight as to what your teen will accomplish, and what will be expected of your teen.
For more information about the Zoo Crew program, call (216) 661-6500 x4009.