Originally opened in 1956, the Pachyderm Building was the first stop for generations of visitors to Cleveland Metroparks Zoo. As of this week, the building is closed to the public to allow for construction of African Elephant Crossing, an expanded and enhanced elephant habitat at the site of the Pachyderm Building. (Part of the original Pachyderm Building will remain, with significant renovations and major additions to it.)
The Zoo has been moving animals from the Pachyderm Building to other areas of the Zoo and to other zoos nationwide over the past few years in anticipation of the new exhibit. The Zoo's elephants recently left the Pachyderm Building to stay at the Columbus Zoo during construction, and they're expected to return before the grand opening of African Elephant Crossing in 2011.
To learn more about the BIG new exhibit, visit clemetzoo.com/elephants.